When you buy whey protein, look for organic whey protein concentrate.
Organic whey protein concentrate is a delicious way to add quality protein to your diet. As you consider where to buy whey protein powder keep in mind the key qualities you should look for.
Whey is an excellent source of very high quality protein, but there are several factors to consider in choosing a good source of whey protein powder. The issue of whey protein isolate vs concentrate is one important factor you should include in your decision making process.
What is the best whey protein powder?
Your whey protein should be
- organic whey protein made from hormone-free, pesticide-free and GMO-free milk,
- grass fed whey protein [i.e. grass fed cows],
- be cold processed from fresh, raw, organic milk,
- have great flavor,
- be water soluble,
- be naturally sweetened, not artificially sweetened, and
- be highly digestible. [Look for medium chain fatty acids, not long chain fatty acids.]
What is whey protein concentrate?
Whey is a liquid by-product of the cheese-making process. When the water is removed from the whey you get whey protein concentrate powder. Research indicates that whey protein concentrate is digested and absorbed better than any other protein.
Properly concentrated whey will be an excellent source of
Cysteine – an amino acid that contributes to muscle production and recovery, and
CLA – conjugated linoleic acid – an important antioxidant found in dairy fat and therefore missing from fat-free dairy products like skim milk or whey protein isolates.
What is whey protein isolate?
Protein isolate is 90% or more of pure protein. The other elements naturally found in whey have been stripped away. The human body was not designed to consume protein in an isolated form devoid of its nutritional cofactors. Most of the isolates you will find on the market are over-processed. The fragile protein structure has been destroyed. This leaves them deficient in key amino acids and immune-supporting nutrients.
What benefits can I expect from adding organic whey protein concentrate to my diet?
The benefits of whey protein concentrate added to your diet include
- delivery of all of the amino acids needed for optimal health,
- boosting your energy and endurance levels,
- promoting muscle growth and strength,
- supporting your immune system,
- boosting your metabolism,
- benefiting your circulation and cardiovascular health,
- support for glutathione – your body’s master antioxidant,
- support for a healthy digestive system, and
- benefit for existing healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Your whey protein concentrate will also benefit healthy aging and mental clarity.
If you thoroughly weigh the pros and cons of whey protein isolate vs concentrate, I think you will find that your greatest over-all health benefits will come from choosing the whey protein concentrate form. Action Whey meets all of the recommended criteria for a top quality organic whey protein powder.
If I create a link to a product in a review, sometimes I may get paid a commission if a visitor to my site purchases the product. For more details, please see my Disclosure Policy page.